Rosenkohl - Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Sausage
Cooks in Serves 4 - 6
- 1 pound of Brussels Sprouts
- 1 smoked sausage such as Bauernwurst or Kielbasa
- 2 shallots or one small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Sherry or Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1. Take your Brussels sprouts and cut them in half and trim the bottom part off. Take a medium sized pot and fill it 3/4 full of water. Add about a tablespoon of salt. You\'re going to blanch the sprouts so that they cook more evenly and quickly.
- 2. When the water is boiling plunge the trimmed sprouts in the water. Cook them in the water for about ten minutes or until they start to feel tender.
- 3. Once they are tender remove them from the water and place in a bowl. There is no need to shock them in ice water because you will be cooking them right away. If you plan on cooking this later then you can plunge them into ice water until they are cool, then remove them and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain.
- 4. Use a medium sized cast iron skillet and turn the heat on medium high. Once the pan is hot add vegetable oil and place the Brussels one at a time with the cut side down. Once they start to brown remove them and set aside. Once all of the Brussels are browned, you can add the sausage, shallots, salt, pepper, and butter. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for about five minutes or until the shallots are softened.
- 5. Add the Brussels and the vinegar to the pan and toss all the ingredients together.
- 6. Place in an oven set to 375º for about 20 - 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.