Cardamom Ice Cream
Cooks in Serves 8
- 1 qt. Heavy cream
- 1 Fresh vanilla bean
- 6 lg. Egg yolks
- 2 T. Ground cardamom
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 c. Granulated sugar
- 1 T. Vanilla extract
- I love the fresh vanilla bean in my ice creams, but if you cannot find them you can up the addition of extract to 2 T. being sure to add it after the mixture has come off the heat.
- I think it\'s worth the search and the price to add the fresh vanilla bean!
- This seems like a long process, but most of it involves cooling times. Don\'t be intimidated by this, it makes it all the more worth it when you get to enjoy fresh, homemade ice cream on your warm Pflaumenkuchen!! For this recipe, go to the dessert recipe section and try it for yourself!!
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, cardamom, salt, 1/2 c. of the sugar, and the vanilla bean which has been split and scraped.
- Bring just to a simmer, turn of heat, cover, and steep about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl, whisk yolks and the remaining 1/2 c. of sugar together well.
- After the cream mixture has steeped, slowly whisk it into the yolks, warming them to the temperature of the cream.
- Add all of the mixture back into the saucepan and place it back on a low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly with a spatula until the mixture has thickened and can coat a spoon. Be very careful to watch how hot the mixture gets, it can go from liquid to curdled faster than you think.
- Remove from heat and quickly strain through sieve into a bowl with an ice bath underneath. Add vanilla extract and stir well until cooled slightly.
- Cool overnight in the refrigerator and run in your favorite ice cream maker following the manufacturer\'s instructions. Use as soft serve or deep freeze overnight for harder ice cream.